Saturday, July 7, 2012

The intervention...

Hello, my name is Margaret and I have a problem.  I started making Christmas cards about a month ago to use up my old Christmas DSP.  I thought I could handle it, just make a few cards, use up some old paper, and then I would stop.  I was in control... or so I thought.  I have recently come to realize that I have an addiction to creating Christmas cards.  I've even started looking at other old packages of  Christmas DSP, just to see what was there...  I knew I hit rock bottom when I became frustrated that I had to make a birthday card. "That won't use up my Christmas paper... I have to use up my Christmas paper!!"  So that's my story.  I am a Christmas card addict.  The saddest part of this is I will have to find a way to control my behavior.  After all, Christmas is an annual holiday, and there will always be new DSP to buy, therefore making my current DSP old.  It's a vicious cycle...  But I can change... if I have to...I guess...

All silliness aside, I am really enjoying making my cards early (gasp!) and I was so excited when I realized I only had two full sheets and some little scraps left of my Merry Moments paper.  Bring on the new paper!!  

I once again used a Merry Monday sketch for my cards.  I'm just obsessive enough to feel that I need to do the sketches in order, but really would have liked to skip this one.  It was a wonderful sketch and I had this brilliant card pictured in my head, but when I attempted to put my vision to paper, I did not love it.  So I decided to try the sketch again with a different idea.  Not overly crazy with that one either...  But I finished the sketch and the next few are very basic and I think they will be a lot easier for me to use.  So here are both of my cards using sketch #7 from Merry Monday.  

   
My initial plan was for the cardinal to be resting on the branch, but it just didn't look right.  I also thought the background would be less bare and more 'forest-like' with the pine tree images.  I just feel like the whole vision fell short of what I wanted...


First of all... apologies for the washed out image... grr...
I decided to go a completely different route with this one.  I wanted to use the shaker frame, but didn't want to actually have a shaker card (confusing, I know).  So I stamped my image twice, added dazzling details to the bottom image and then layered the second image on top.  I think I would have been happier with this one if I had embossed the red background.

So do you ever have this problem?  Finishing a card and then really not liking it?  

Hope everyone has a fabulous rest of the weekend! Happy crafting!

Card Recipe #1-Cardstock-old olive, very vanilla, real red, Merry Memories DSP(ret), Ink-chocolate chip, old olive, Stamp Sets- Lovely as a Tree, Bells and Boughs, Language of Friendship, Punches-scallop oval, scallop circle, bird builder

Card Recipe #2-Cardstock-real red, very vanilla, garden green, Merry Memories DSP, Ink-real red, asst. markers, Stamp Sets- Sweet Snowglobe (ret), Warm Words (ret), Punches-1 3/4" circle, large oval, scallop oval, Accessories-dazzling details, shaker frame




7 comments:

  1. You are so on a roll, Inspiring! Good project to do to help keep our minds off of this heat,too. Yes, happens to me quite often not liking a project once done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you need an intervention or at least a 12 step program for your addiction. Mine isn't just Christmas paper or cards, I have an addiction to paper and I have been on step one forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! Didn't it just feel SO good to admit your addiction! LOL!! Very cute

    I like both of these! Love that little red bird on the first one and the shaker look on the second. They're both fabulous and so pretty.

    You sound like me with my cards.....I'll get mine finished, take a photo, put on my blog, and then think.....I SHOULD have done this or that!
    I wouldn't change anything on these you did though as they're so lovely.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't even try to fight this addiction.....you'll thank me for it in December.....and just go with the flow of creativity while it lasts.....and remember what Scrooge said in "A Christmas Carol"....you are just trying to keep the Spirit of Christmas in your heart, all year long....haaaa!
    Stop beatin' yourself up about the results, too....those cards would grace any mantelpiece, beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your write-up today is hilarious. It brought a chuckle to me. I love making Christmas cards as well but I haven't started any as yet. That was my plan last week but now I am on this organization kick, oh well.
    I like both your cards and yes I have been there plenty of times - I create then don't like it- guess that happens to all paper artists

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're too funny! You know there's a simple solution if you have lots of paper and enjoy making Christmas cards, send/give more! :P I love Christmas but with the cost of postage and everything else going on I don't make/send many. To be honest I just make all 50 so cards exactly the same! How boring am I!?! Maybe I have a problem!? x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two very different cards with the same sketch! I love the red bird and the way you stamped the trees behind. And the snowglobe is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!