Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Happy birthday, Old Soul...

Hello! I am so glad you stopped by!  I have something a bit special to share with you today!  February is one of those months that has a ton of family birthdays in it.  I managed to have most of the cards completed over the holidays, but saved one for later.  I always seem to put off making my kids cards to the very last minute (maybe trying to slow the aging process?), and while this card was finished in time for her big day, it was a bit of a race to get it completed. This may not seem like a 'go to' choice for a college student, but then again DD#1 is no average girl!  I used FOUR stamp sets to create this card! That may be a new record for me!



The truck image is from Country Livin' and I had to add the sweet pup from Beautiful Ride to the back! 


The cat and flower pot are from Sitting Here and the sentiment is from Perfect Pairings.

I probably spent more time on this one card than I did on the other cards combined!  It was so much fun to incorporate everything DD loves on one card.  She is a bit of an old soul, enjoying everything vintage, and LOVES fat fender trucks.  Her love of them is slightly surpassed by her love of animals and gardening, so I think I've managed to get things covered with this one card!

Mushy Mom Moment:  As I was coloring this card, I spent a lot of time thinking about her and how our move had affected her.  She is a country girl to the core, and when our dreams of building in the country were dashed, she took it every bit as hard as her mother.  The move to our new home was exciting in the fact that she would have her own room and I would finally have my craft studio, but we were both sad that we would no longer have 2 acres to call home (even if it meant being crammed in a small mobile home...).  We held onto the fact that we could still spend time in the country and even camp out on the land when we wanted a break.  Unfortunately, the 'powers that be' changed those plans for us and we no longer had the chance to buy the land for ourselves.  We love our new home very much and it has been an adventure to work together to make this place ours, but there is still that yearning for wide open spaces in our hearts.  She recently announced that when she graduates, she is going to save her money and buy a small farm.  She's even invited me to come visit whenever I like to help tend to her chickens and baby goats!  I am so proud of her acceptance of the present and her dreams for the future.  I know that whatever direction she chooses to go, it will be with all of her heart and she will enjoy every moment of the journey.  What more can a parent want for her child...

Thanks so much for visiting and I hope I didn't bore you too much with my ramblings! Have a terrific rest of the week!

Card Recipe: Paper-whisper white, soft suede, kraft, Ink-memento tuxedo black, soft suede, assorted markers and colored pencils, Stamp Sets-Country Livin', Sitting Here, Beautiful Ride, Perfect Pairings, Accessories- Studio Calico wood veneer stars, ovals collection framelits, square lattice embossing folder, linen thread, lace tape (from stash)

1 comment:

  1. Awww, Margaret, never boring when you share a bit of your life. I understand what it must have been like to give up the country life, but think of all the memories you made while there and of course the new ones you made while preparing to move in to the new home/will be making. I do hope she will be able to buy a little farm of her own one day for you to help out on ;) Well done on the card by the way, she surely loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!