Saturday, November 21, 2020

A Breath of Fresh Air

 I love airing out my house.  There is something so pleasing about opening the windows on the first breezy spring or fall day and enjoying the air flowing through my home.  The savings on the utility bill are an added bonus, but really it's more about airing out a stuffy house.

Sometimes my brain and mindset gets stuffy too.  I have been struggling with some career decisions, grieving the loss of my dad, and honestly grieving the loss of my girls always being home.  I don't mind the empty nest most days, but sometimes this house is just too quiet.  While I am still facing all of these challenges, I am really trying to 'air out' my soul and let some fresh thoughts flow.

I started my month off with a daily Gratitude statement on my Facebook page.  I couldn't believe how difficult it was at first!  I mean, I have a job, a cozy home, a wonderful husband, two fabulous girls who are turning into amazingly strong women, and all the necessities...  But about half way through the month, something began to change.  I would have a moment of pure gratitude over the simplest things-a student who made me laugh, a kind grocery store clerk, and suddenly I couldn't wait to record that days blessing!  I started seeing all of the wonderful things that were happening around me instead of the less than perfect.

This morning I woke up at 5:30 (on a Saturday...) and instead of trying to force myself to sleep more, I got up, made coffee, stripped the sheets off the bed to be laundered, lit some candles, and enjoyed my first cup of coffee in the silence of the candlelight.  It was perfect!  Lots of time for reflecting, sorting out thoughts and priorities, and thinking big things.  I wish I could say everything is sorted out now, but that's probably never going to be the case.  I did however come back to the ever present belief that creating makes me pretty darn happy-even if I'm the only one enjoying it.  So I'm going to get my butt in gear, brush the dust and cobwebs from my craft room, and make some Christmas cards to share with loved ones.  I'm also going to carve out time (not intentionally a Thanksgiving pun, but it works!) each week to play.  I have pinned several ornament ideas on Pinterest that really need to be a part of my holiday prep this year.  I also have a few new baking recipes to try out.  Who knows? I may even find more time to post on this dusty ol' blog of mine.  Even if I'm the only one who sees it, it's still a breath of fresh air for this stuffy soul!

Wishing you the happiest of Saturdays and hoping that you will find some gratitude today too!

2 comments:

  1. I love that! All of it. God bless you and your creative mind and and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaay, so good to see you posting again and that all is going well dealing with life's changes. I can't wait to see your creations and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!