Friday, January 18, 2013

Flashback Friday- Something Old, Something New..

Hello! It is another wonderful Friday and I'm back with more scrapbook pages featuring some of my forgotten supplies.  As this is being posted to my blog, we are in Ft. Wayne IN with oldest DD.  She is performing with the state Honor Choir this evening and has been in rehearsals all day yesterday and today.  We decided to take a break from the everyday and tagged along to enjoy a few days away and also help out for a few hours with the rehearsals.  We are so proud of how hard she has been working this year and can't wait to see what is in store for her future endeavors.

My pages today were completed during my Christmas break, but the snowy and gray weather did not allow for nice pictures (not that these are fabulous...).  I am hoping we will have some sunnier days ahead so my photographed projects have a little more natural light.  The photos are from several years ago and scrapbooking them was quite an emotional event.  

In April of 2009, my oldest brother was in a horrible motorcycle accident.  He was driving home from my daughter's birthday party and a deer ran out in front of him.  He was rushed to our local hospital before being life flighted to a larger hospital with a wonderful head trauma unit.  They didn't expect him to survive the flight...  But he did.  The doctors did everything they could do to stabilize him and told us that he could die tomorrow or he might live to see another day.  He managed to choose the latter.  After being in a coma for several months, he began running a very high fever.  In the middle of his ordeal, his gall bladder had sustained some damage.  Because of the head trauma and limited ability to be properly examined, this was not noticed immediately and his gall bladder became infected.  They rushed him into emergency surgery, again reminding us that his prognosis was not good.  Mike woke up the next day wanting to know where he was and what happened.  We jokingly call him the Million Dollar Man because of the bills that came from the hospital, but we most sincerely refer to him as our Miracle Man!

Mike's wife has 5 grown children from her previous marriage and one of the girls was engaged to be married when all of this happened.  She and her fiance insisted that they weren't getting married until Mike could be there.  So they unselfishly postponed their wedding until he was well enough to attend.  This was the first time the whole family had been together in one place since the hospital and it proved to be a very emotional day.  I realized while making these pages that I had subconsciously held off on these pictures because of that.  It felt really good to finally put everything in order and focus on the happiness of the moment.

In the tradition of the old adage 'Something Old, Something New...' I managed to use both old and new items on these pages! My old things were the orange cardstock bases that have been in my paper pile forever,  the black letter stickers, and the pretty peel and stick lace ribbon.  My something new came from my dear blogging friend, Sherry.  After admiring the enamel dots she uses on her pages, I was pleasantly surprised to receive some in the mail from her!  They had been sitting on my table taunting me for weeks and I finally decided I had to use some! Love them!!



Their wedding was in October and I loved the fall colored flowers in her bouquet.  Since I had some left over leaves from a different project, I chose to use them for my embellishments. I think they go well with the whole fall theme. I also added a brushed bronze button. My layouts were inspired by some older Page Maps sketches (love these!!).

It was so nice to get some scrapbooking done and hopefully I will continue to get a little more caught up on that giant file of pictures that are waiting for a loving home!

I hope your weekend is full of crafty goodness and fun! Happy crafting!

Page Recipe: Cardstock-daffodil delights DSP from Brights stack, real red, daffodil delight, Ink-soft suede on leaves, black marker for journaling, Accessories-Autumn Accents die, woodgrain embossing folder, brushed bronze button, white bakers twine, whisper white taffeta ribbon, enamel dots from Sherry, Flashback Items-orange cardstock, white lace peel and stick ribbon, black letter stickers

7 comments:

  1. Your brother sounds totally amazing and strong willed. The layout is wonderful and good for you using your old stuff as well as finally using those enamel dots. Glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story... miracle man indeed - and what a wonderful wedding layout. How fantastic that he was there for the big day against all the odds!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, such a wonderful, touching story! So glad he's ok now and know what a horrible ordeal that must have been for everyone.

    Great pages and photos to remember such a happy event.

    Hugs to your daughter too - know she'll do wonderful!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story and what beautiful pages to go with it! You did a lovely job capturing all of this! So happy to hear that your brother wound up doing so well! *sniffles!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just gave me goosebumps from the floor up! Incredibly scary and inspiring story Margaret. Your brother is certainly a blessed man and what a wonderful family to hold together and not celebrate their union until everyone could be there. I think that is just fantastic! Kudos to your brother for such an incredible fight and these pages are certainly a treasure to hold on to!
    Thank you so much for sharing the story behind these LO's.
    hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layout, I like the texture and the design!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this amazing story behind your beautifully scrapped photos. I really like the colors you chose to coordinate with her bouquet - so unexpected for wedding scrapbook pages, yet lovely !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!