Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Moon River...um...Lake?

My very weak attempt at humorous word play was inspired by a new to me stamp set from Stampin' Up.  The stamp set is called Moon Lake, but every time I see it I think Moon River, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Audrey Hepburn singing.  While 'Moon Lake' isn't as melodic, it is a beautiful stamp set and oh so perfect for masculine cards.  I am in dire need of some manly cards in my stash since there are quite a few birthdays approaching and no cards in sight!

Both of the cards I made are a nice blending of the old with the new.  My newly inked stamps went perfectly with my retired Well Worn dsp and always artichoke ribbon.  I also had to dig into my retired card stock for the river rock base.


I used a combination of markers and pastels to color the images, but I think I really like the pastels better for this stamp set.  My marker skills still need a lot of work, and chalk is pretty forgiving and blends so well!


In a few days, my DD1 will be celebrating a milestone birthday and I am trying to come to terms with the fact that my first baby is no longer a baby...  While we have  fun day planned, I know I will be just a little sad, but mostly proud of the wonderful young woman she has become.  I scoffed at the 'blink of an eye' concept when I was up to my elbows in diapers and sleepless nights, but today I'm feeling a little wiser.  My sleepless nights do occur less frequently, yet now they are for more weighty concerns.  I also find myself mentally apologizing to my own mother for every time that I must have made her worry...  I guess there truly is a circle of life-not just a Disney/Elton John song!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope I've given you a little inspiration and I really appreciate your visit!  Have a fantastic day!

Card Recipe: Paper-very vanilla, early espresso, river rock (ret), Well Worn dsp (ret), Ink-memento tuxedo black, always artichoke, cajun craze, crumb cake, early espresso, Stamp Set-Moon Lake, Accessories-pastels, always artichoke denim ribbon (ret), ticket duo builder punch, word window punch

  

5 comments:

  1. You have me singing Moon River now! A pretty, pretty song too.

    And speaking of pretty! WOW! Love both of these. I still have a couple of snippets of that patterned paper and am really hoarding it. Love it on these card with two wonderful stamped images. Great coloring with the pastels and the markers.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful cards SIB! I love that they truly do fit a masculine genre; however, they are perfect for nature lovers and anyone as well. I have a whopping zero masculine cards on hand and my own father's b-day is in 10 days. Thank you for the inspiration to get on the ball and HAPPY HAPPY Birthday to your DD1 as well. Crazy the amount of love we have for those little critters, no matter HOW big and grownup they get. I still cuddle with my 6'4" son. LOL.
    He's not necessarily thrilled about that, but I just really don't care....
    Big hugs to you my friend,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are 2 great masculine cards Margaret-time does go by so quickly-especially where our children are concerned-they grow up so fast-and it is like a blink of the eye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, these are perfect man-cards. Nice colors! I still have some of that DSP in my stash somewhere, too! Must find it. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are both great masculine cards - I love the images, and the warm earthy colour tones.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!