Sunday, August 11, 2013

Summer Fun-Challenge 25 at ABAC

Hello! I am finally back in blogland after a super crazy two weeks!! Thank goodness for scheduled posting!!  Today I'm sharing my project for Anything But a Card's current challenge: Summer Fun!!  There are so many different ways to interpret this challenge and just about as many different creations you could make!  While I originally thought about making a scrapbook layout, necessity took over and I'm sharing a fun little summer gift I made instead.

In my family there are SEVEN birthdays in August alone, so our summers are usually filled with cookouts and gatherings to celebrate.  We don't usually do a lot of gift exchanging, but I try to make a little something to give to the birthday person.  We just celebrated my mom's birthday and I made a cute little purse to hold a gift card for her. This is also a great size for a little gift like jewelry, cosmetics, or my personal favorite-chocolate!


I was under the gun to finish this one, so it's pretty CAS, but you could really dress up the base with stamping and inks if you wanted.


I found the template for this cute little purse at Paper Crafts magazine.  But it was actually easier for me to just make it using the dimensions.  Also, I found an error in the measurements on the top flap of the purse, so if you use their dimensions be sure to change the score line from 2" to 2 1/2" or your flap will not cover the top of the purse!

I started with a piece of yellow cardstock 5"x11" and scored it at 1 1/2" running the length of the 11" side.  Then I turned the paper to the 5" side and scored at 1 1/2, 5, 6 1/2, and 10".  I cut the scored lines to the 1 1/2" score line (look at  photo below if you need a visual).
The solid lines are cutting lines.

The top was created using a piece of pattern paper measuring 3 1/2"x4".  Here is where I found the mistake on the original.  Score at 1" and 2 1/2" (not 2" if you use the template from PCm).  I also added a scallop punched edge to mine instead of the curved edge, but you can really do whatever you want on that part.

The handles were two pieces of 3/4"x5" pattern paper.  If you use solid paper, you would only need one, but I used two since I wanted my patterns to match.  Score at 3/4" from each end.


Then it's a pretty simple task of folding and assembling the base and attaching the flap to the top.  Make sure the 1" end of the flap is in back so the longer piece covers the front.  I added an antique brad to dress it up a little.  The handles were glued to the top and then I added the silver brads for a little embellishing.  Then I decorated the front with a stamped birthday sentiment, ribbon, and a cute little flower button.  Easy peasy!

I hope you will play along and link up so I can see what summer fun means to you! You still have a week left!!

Project Recipe: Paper-yellow cardstock from stash (unknown maker), Play Date dsp (ret), Ink- tempting turquoise, Stamp Set-Label Love, Accessories-artisan label punch, scallop trim border punch, antique brads, silver brads, real red 1/4" stitched grosgrain ribbon, turquoise button (ret), white bakers twine

On a personal note, many of you know I recently 'retired' from my career as a preschool teacher and was debating what my next venture would be.  About two weeks before my girls were due to go back to school, I received a call from a friend telling me a local school corporation was looking for aides and that I should apply.  I still wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do, but also knew that money would be super tight if I didn't do something, so I filled out an application and submitted my resume.  After interviewing and receiving a couple of different offers.  I decided to take a position as a special needs instructional assistant at the middle school level.  It was quite serendipitous that I was undecided between this position and a kindergarten position, when I found a quote by Caroline Myss- "Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that's the one that is going to require the most from you."   So I went completely out of my comfort zone and I have to say that after my first week, I really enjoy it.  It is a challenge and I'm still learning my way, but everyone has been so supportive and I feel like I've contributed at the end of the day.  It's also a blessing to not be the one responsible for creating the lesson plans and charting the progress!

Have a wonderful week and happy crafting!

15 comments:

  1. What an adorable make, Margaret... hope you continue to enjoy all the family birthday celebrations!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable. Might have to try making one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift bag Margaret and lovely to see how you made it (no fancy dies!) Good luck with your new job - I love the quote. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and I love the colour combination you have used - it reminds me of ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute and would make a fabby giftie too...love the colors! And thanks for providing the info on how to make it...maybe I will get brave and try one too!
    Your new job sounds rewarding...and you are right, you will be really making a difference! So happy for your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, this is so cute! Your mom is going to love it (and love the gift card too)! Thanks for the directions! I'll have to try one.

    That's great news about your new job! What an adventure. I know you'll be a great aide!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you Margaret for stepping out there. I am sure there will be many joys in your new role.
    Your bag is a sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute idea Margaret! This is such a neat way to give a gift and I'm sure your mom was thrilled to receive it. August has been hectic for us too and hopefully September won't be. ;) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute box, I really like the pink, yellow & aqua color combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this cute purse Margaret-and its a great way to give a little gift to someone-congrats on your new position-hope you have a successful school year

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOO HOO!!!! I'm so happy for you. What's his name would be so proud of you for taking the road less traveled...LOL. I'm so excited for your new position and I have all the faith in the world that this is perfect for you.
    Your little purse is just the heat too my friend!!!
    Big super huge hugs to you and thank you for all the visits on my blog lately. I'm ready to be moved and planted in my craft room so I can stalk on a regular basis.
    SIB :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is super fun! What an adorable little purse-let - perfect for nestling cards inside, too! :) Congratulations on your new post, I'm sure you will be a great asset to the new students - wonderful quote, and such wise words :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful gift box purse design.

    regards diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet, colorful box - thank you for sharing the diagram. CONGRATS on the new job !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!