Sunday, May 19, 2013

Anything But a Card Challenge 19-Wisdom of Heart

Well, hello and happy Sunday morning to you!  This is an especially happy Sunday morning for me because it marks the start of the first week since officially resigning from my job!  I know this is a short term 'time off', but I am going to enjoy every minute of it until returning to work!

We are now in week two of the color challenge at Anything But a Card Challenges and it's my turn to share.  I knew as soon as I saw this gorgeous set of colors and inspiration photo that I would be doing a scrapbook page and I also knew exactly what papers I would use as well.


The beautiful blend of blue/green and red/pink reminded me of the colors in the More Amore DSP.  I also knew that I would finally be scrapbooking a significant photo of my oldest DD.  This picture has been patiently waiting for just the right moment and papers to make it extra special.  Every fall, my girls pose for their 'first day of school' photo.  They are always wearing their new shoes and sporting their new backpack as well.  I love that it captures their style and personality for that period of time, but it also is a wonderful way to see how they have grown.  This particular photo is from DD#1 6th grade year and she just had her 8th grade recognition this past week.  How's that for timing?


As I started putting this page together, I realized that I had not used the first piece of cardstock, only patterned paper.  Highly unusual for me!! I also noticed as I was labeling the supplies,  there weren't that many different supplies used on this page, another rare occurrence!  I'm not usually into using a lot of bold patterns either, but here they are.  I'm really liking this new approach and it helped me use some of those beautiful papers I've been hoarding saving for just the right moment!

The fabric in the inspiration photo begged me to add some texture to this page.  I decided to go with a rolled ribbon 'flower' and added some crocheted ribbon as well.  If you want to see fabric inspiration at it's finest, be sure to check out Julie's amazing creation! GORGEOUS, I tell you!


a close up of my flower and the perfect quote that I had to work into this page!

I need to take a moment to gush about my wonderful girl!  I knew I wanted to use the beautiful quote on the piece of DSP for her.  From a very young age, she has had the amazing ability to completely look beyond what is on the surface and see the inner beauty in others.  Our first major experience with this was when we met one of her buddies from school.  She talked about this girl for months, how much fun she was, the great conversations they had, how this girl made her laugh.  So I hate to admit that I had a preformed vision of this precious girl in my mind and was a little taken back when I met her and realized that she had some special needs.  DD had never mentioned this aspect of her wonderful friend and it melted my heart to realize that while she knew her friend was different, that was not what she saw when she looked at her.  This has been her strength and special gift ever since.  She has no concern what others may think of her friendships and loves with her whole heart.  Is there any wisdom that is greater than this? None that I can think of...

So thank you for letting me get all mushy and teary eyed! To me, this is what scrapbooking is all about, not only capturing the event, but the wonderful memories and emotions that go with it.  I included a very special message to my daughter on the back of this page.  I really love doing this when the message is extra special and not necessarily for everyone's eyes to see.

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit and I hope you find some time this week to be crafty, and I would love to see you play along with our color challenge!!

Page Recipe:  More Amore DSP, pool party ruffled ribbon, Victoria crochet trim, jumbo sticky rounds, Just Journaling stamp, black stazon & black marker

8 comments:

  1. What a great layout and what a wonderful story that goes with it. As a mother of a special needs child it is so nice to hear stories like this.
    Congrats on the semi-retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boast away, proud mommy!! That IS truly what scrapbooking is about and this photo and the story and especially the written note to your daughter, makes this a keepsake treasure. You have every right to be proud in her. I wish everyone lived this way. :) Your LO is spectacular, but you explaining the importance of it truly brought it home!!
    Hugs to you my friend,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, your daughter sounds like such a lovely young lady! I'd be very proud of her too.
    Beautiful scrap book page and love the borders! So pretty.
    Have a great "last week" and take some time for yourself now.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these colors just made me squeal! Right up my alley! Your page and layout and beautiful bloom are just perfect, especially for the poignant words you wrote about your daughter! I think my heart literally smiled reading that - she's as beautiful as her mommy, clearly. Thanks for sharing your (her!) story! x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Margaret - it uses the colours so well, and the photo is lovely - so nice that it finally got scrapped! And I love the story about your DD's friend - so heartwarming!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would make your heart sing and you very proud Margaret. I love how kids look right through disability and only see the person! (be good if some adults remained a bit more childlike)
    Your layout is terrific with the colours and patterns all working so well with the lovely photo.
    Here in Aus the kids wear uniforms.
    Enjoy, did I say enjoy, your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious post and page Margaret. Your daughter is a beautiful reflection of you. :) TFS the amazing LO! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!