Monday, December 3, 2018

Handmade for the Holidays

Hi!  I have something a little different to share with you today.  Every year, my daughters participate in our family's Thanksgiving Day ornament swap.  My girls create their handmade ornaments, wrap them, and join in the Sneaky Santa game played to receive new ornaments.  My Mom and her sisters still get together for Thanksgiving, so it's a pretty big crowd and the game is always a lot of fun.  Most players bring purchased ornaments, so the handmade ones are quite unique and always a crowd favorite.  

DD1 loves to embroider and wanted to use embroidery on her ornaments.  She was trying to think of a way to frame her pieces, when she received inspiration from a beautiful handmade ornament I received from a dear blogging friend, Heather.  She loved the idea of using the canning rings as a frame and quickly set to work creating her rustic Christmas ornaments.

DD1's ornaments

Heather's ornament


DD2 enjoys making things out of paper and found materials, so she created three tag style ornaments using wood tags as her base and applying pretty Christmas papers.  She really liked the poinsettia I made for my scrapbook page and wanted to make her own to go on the tag. 

DD2's ornaments

I think all of these ornaments are absolutely beautiful! Now I just need to convince my DDs to make a few extra ornaments to add to their mother's tree!

Thanks so much for visiting and I hope these talented people inspired you to make some lovely decorations for your own tree, or maybe even to give as gifts!  Have a wonderful week, and for those who celebrate Advent with me, Happy First Week!

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea about exchanging ornaments at Thanksgiving. How fun!!!
    BOTH of your daughters made gorgeous ornaments too. Wow!!! Love the canning lid idea and the embroider is so pretty. The tags are so beautiful as well! Love the patterned poinsettia. Stunning!!!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygoodness, the girls ornaments are gorgeous ! Whoever received them will be proud to display them on their tree! I hope they do make some for your tree and am glad you liked the ornament I sent you. Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!